Whisenant & Associates Attorneys at Law
Helping your family starts with
us helping you understand your choices
Call for a Consultation 281.681.8889
Whisenant & Associates Attorneys at Law Child Support
Family Law:

We help families resolve issues
related to all family law listed.

Experienced Child Support Attorney in The Woodlands Helps Obtain Fair Orders

Discovery strategies compel full financial disclosure

Chapter 154 of the Texas Family Code sets out a specific formula for the calculation of child support, but that formula is meaningless if your soon-to-be ex is hiding assets and income. At Whisenant & Associates, we understand finance and are alert to the warning signs that a party is concealing assets. With more than 20 years of litigation experience, we know how to use the discovery process to find what an opposing party wants to keep hidden. We can put our skills to work in your child support dispute to help your child receive an appropriate amount of support and when necessary, enlist the help of private investigators to assist you in locating the undisclosed assets.

How much child support must an obligor parent pay?

Texas uses a fairly simple percentage formula:

  • Parents disclose the gross income claimed on their tax returns and provide invoices, bank records and other pertinent financial documents.
  • From that gross income, amounts are deducted for allowable expenses, such as taxes and union dues. Certain payments are disallowed, such as insurance premiums and 401(k) contributions. The resulting amount is the net available resources of that parent.
  • The court calculates an obligor's payment amount as a percentage of their net available resources. Factors affecting the percentage include the number of children before the court and the number of other children the obligor has a duty to support.

In many cases, the payments work out to about one-third of the net income. Additional sums may be necessary if a child has special needs. Child support obligations last until a child reaches the age of 18, or longer if the child is still pursuing a secondary education.

Must parents in Texas pay for private school or college?

If a child is enrolled in a private school prior to the divorce, the court, in the interest of stability, can order tuition payments. If a parent seeks to enroll a child in private school after the divorce, the court is unlikely to order tuition payments unless the custodial parent can show the child has a pressing need. In such a case, the court may approve a modification of the original support order.

Texas does not require support during college. However, many parents, acting in their child's best interest, will work out a support plan independent of the court and ask the court to approve it and, if necessary, enforce it. As spouses and parents, our family law attorneys understand that your children's needs always come first. Our compassionate and caring service includes negotiating, drafting and advocating support plans tailored to your children's specific needs.

Consult a seasoned Texas family law attorney for your child support disputes

Full financial disclosure is the key to a fair child support schedule, and for that you need a litigation attorney with a strong finance background. Contact Whisenant & Associates at 281.681.8889 or online to schedule a consultation. Se habla español.

Contact Form

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.